The “M” Word: Melasma….
Do you ever notice areas of your face that appear darker than others? Do they seem to get worse when you are exposed to heat or sun, especially in the summer months? Or when you are pregnant, if you are female? It could be that you have a condition known as Melasma.
The exact cause of melasma remains unknown. Experts believe that the dark patches in melasma could be triggered by several factors, including pregnancy, birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy (HRT and progesterone), family history of melasma, race, anti-seizure medications, and other medications that make the skin more prone to pigmentation after exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light.
Known triggers for melasma include:
- Sun and heat exposure —(this is the most avoidable)
- Pregnancy—in affected women, the pigment often fades a few months after delivery (often called “pregnancy mask.”
- Hormone treatments—oral contraceptive pills containing estrogen and/or progesterone, hormone replacement, intrauterine devices and implants are a factor in about a quarter of affected women.
- Certain medications (including new targeted therapies for cancer), scented or deodorant soaps, toiletries and cosmetics—these may cause a photo toxic reaction that triggers melasma, which may then persist long term.
- Hypothyroidism (low levels of circulating thyroid hormone)
At Uptown Medical Aesthetics, we have the technology to assess your skin with a polarized system using the Reveal Skin Imager. It allows us to determine if the area of concern is true melasma or sun damage from years of exposure. It also gives us the opportunity to track your progress from the start of your product and procedure protocol, throughout your treatments, and when we are simply seeing you for services to maintain your results.
You will consult with an experienced and Certified Paramedical Aesthetician to determine which services and products at Uptown will be the best options to treat your melasma. We offer treatments from chemical peels to microdermabrasion and Dermaplaning, and will pair your services with
The REVEAL Imager is included in your complimentary consultation, and all of your visits.